About‎ > ‎Pupil Premium‎ > ‎

Report to Parents 2013/14

Number of pupils and pupil premium grant (PPG) received

Total number of pupils on roll177 (Incl Nursery)
145 (excl Nursery)
Total number of pupils eligible for PPG83
Amount of PPG received per pupil£953
Total amount of PPG received£77,215


Nature of support  2013/4

The funding was used in several ways, all of which helped support the pupils in their learning and in some cases behaviour for learning.

  1. To provide one to one or group support for Key Stage One pupils

  2. To fund the school Breakfast Club and provide a healthy meal, as well as the staff. We believe that children who come to school and eat a healthy breakfast, as well as having the opportunity to socialise with their friends will be on time and attendance will impove.

  3. To provide additional teaching and learning opportunities through trained TA’s. This includes smaller Read, Write Inc groups and BRP (Boosting Reading Potential) interventions.

  4. A specialist primary Maths teacher is employed on a weekly basis to support Upper Key Stage 2 pupils, focussing on gaps in learning. This is for individual pupils or small groups who are experiencing difficulties in specific areas. 

  5. A learning mentor has been employed to work with small groups of pupils through carefully planned programmes to support improved conditions for learning via self esteem and nurture programmes, as well as specific programmes to meet individual targeted needs. 

  6. A specialist primary English teacher is employed on a weekly basis to support Upper Key Stage 2 pupils, focussing on developing writing skills. This is for individual pupils or small groups who are experiencing difficulties in specific areas. 

  7. To support educational or enrichment activities and opportunities.

  8. To purchase additional reading books, especially those which will appeal to boys.

  9. To provide a one to one Reading Recovery Teacher in school to support those Y1 children who are not meeting age related expectations. 

  10. To partially support the Whitehouse/YMCA after school activity club, which offers a host of sporting, creative and nurture experiences for our children.


Curriculum focus of PPG spending 2013/14

The main focus was in helping pupils with reading and maths. Also some children were identified as having difficulties with behaviour for learning and part of the grant supported a mentoring programme, which concentrated on helping these pupils with developing better attitudes and self esteem. We strongly believe that if children are engaged and happy, they will learn more.


Measuring the impact of PPG spending

Impact to date:

  • Impact of the breakfast Club funding- the most recent attendance data shows that Whitehouse Primary is in the top 10% of schools nationally for good attendance with 3.5% overall absence 2013-14. This has improved by 1% compared to 4.5% for 2012-13.

  • Reading Recovery data shows that in 17 months (the total for all four children so far this year) have made 32 APS ie the children have made over 5X the expected progress. 

  • The pupils who benefited from accessing intervention via BRP is very positive. Early data shows that one pupil made 12 months progress in ten weeks. Other children are still on the programme.

  • The Y6 pupils receiving small group tuition in English have made an average of 4 APS of progress per child after 2 terms tuition. We are confident that our Y6 rising APS outcomes will continue to improve. Levels of pupil attainment and progress at the end of KS1 and KS2 are rising. Ofsted July 2013 said ‘Pupils make good progress and attainment at the end of KS2 is now above average in reading and mathematics.’

  • The learning mentor programme supports our most vulnerable pupils and families who experience behavioural or emotional barriers to learning by providing 1:1 personalised or small group support. He also liaises closely with other agencies such as CAMHs, Health, the EWO or the Children’s Area Team.